Collecting Personal Information
- Examples of Personal Information collected: version of web browser, IP address, time zone, cookie information, search terms, and how you interact with the Site.
- Purpose of collection: to load the Site accurately for you, and to perform analytics on Site usage to optimize our Site.
- Source of collection: Collected automatically when you access our Site using cookies, log files, web beacons, tags, or pixels.
- Disclosure for a business purpose: shared with our processor Shopify and our shipping platform Shipstation
- Examples of Personal Information collected: name, billing address, shipping address, payment information (including credit card numbers, Apple Pay, PayPal), payment amount, email address, and phone number.
- Purpose of collection: to provide products or services to you to fulfill our contract, to process your payment information, arrange for shipping, and provide you with invoices and/or order confirmations, communicate with you, screen our orders for potential risk or fraud, and when in line with the preferences you have shared with us, provide you with information or advertising relating to our products or services.
- Source of collection: collected from you.
- Disclosure for a business purpose: shared with our processor Shopify, our shipping platform Shipstation and our primary shipping service Canada Post.
Customer support information
- Examples of Personal Information collected: name, billing address, shipping address, payment information (including credit card numbers, Apple Pay, PayPal, payment amount, email address, and phone number.
- Purpose of collection: to provide customer support.
- Source of collection: collected from you.
- Disclosure for a business purpose: Shared with our website CarysCuttlefish.com, shared with our processor Shopify
- We collect all order information history on user created customer profiles such as name, billing address, shipping address payment method (credit card numbers, Apple Pay, PayPal), payment amount, email address, phone number through our processor Shopify to better our customer support.
- We require parent or guardian intervention in regards to customer service needs with any customer under the legal age of 14.
- The Site is not intended for individuals under the legal age of 14.
- We do not intentionally collect Personal Information from children. If you are the parent or guardian and believe your child has provided us with Personal Information, please contact us at the address below to request deletion. email@example.com
Sharing Personal Information
We share your Personal Information with service providers to help us provide our services and fulfill our contracts with you, as described above. For example:
- We use Shopify to power our online store. You can read more about how Shopify uses your Personal Information here: https://www.shopify.com/legal/privacy.
- We may share your Personal Information to comply with applicable laws and regulations, to respond to a subpoena, search warrant or other lawful request for information we receive, or to otherwise protect our rights.
- We share personal information with our shipping hub affiliate Shipstation for order fulfillment purposes such as name, billing information, shipping information, amount paid, products purchased, email address and phone number.
- We share personal information with our shipping service affiliates at Canada Post such as name and shipping address for the intention of package deliverance.
We do not use any personal information for first or third party services on our website to target or tailor advertising to our customers. We have an email list that is not mandatory for customers to subscribe to but will require the collection of your email address to receive advertisements. We use external services separate from our website such as Instagram,Youtube,Twitter and TikTok to advertise our products.
For more information about how targeted advertising works, you can visit the Network Advertising Initiative’s (“NAI”) educational page at http://www.networkadvertising.org/understanding-online-advertising/how-does-it-work.
You can opt out of targeted advertising by:
- FACEBOOK - https://www.facebook.com/settings/?tab=ads
- GOOGLE - https://www.google.com/settings/ads/anonymous
- BING - https://advertise.bingads.microsoft.com/en-us/resources/policies/personalized-ads]
Additionally, you can opt out of some of these services by visiting the Digital Advertising Alliance’s opt-out portal at: http://optout.aboutads.info/.
Using Personal Information
We use your personal Information to provide our services to you, which includes: offering products for sale, processing payments, shipping and fulfillment of your order, and keeping you up to date on new products, services, and offers.
For customers based in the United Kingdom, we reserve the right to refuse service or cancel orders that exceed United Kingdom VAT regulations with the threshold being $236.41 Canadian Dollars. Your personal information is subject to deletion by request in these circumstances.
Pursuant to the General Data Protection Regulation (“GDPR”), if you are a resident of the European Economic Area (“EEA”), we process your personal information under the following lawful bases:
- Your consent;
- The performance of the contract between you and the Site;
- Compliance with our legal obligations;
- To protect your vital interests;
- To perform a task carried out in the public interest;
- For our legitimate interests, which do not override your fundamental rights and freedoms.
When you place an order through the Site, we will retain your Personal Information for our records unless and until you ask us to erase this information. For more information on your right of erasure, please see the ‘Your rights’ section below.
If you are a resident of the EEA, you have the right to object to processing based solely on automated decision-making (which includes profiling), when that decision-making has a legal effect on you or otherwise significantly affects you.
We DO NOT engage in fully automated decision-making that has a legal or otherwise significant effect using customer data.
Our processor Shopify uses limited automated decision-making to prevent fraud that does not have a legal or otherwise significant effect on you.
Services that include elements of automated decision-making include:
- Temporary denylist of IP addresses associated with repeated failed transactions. This denylist persists for a small number of hours.
- Temporary denylist of credit cards associated with denylisted IP addresses. This denylist persists for a small number of days.
Selling Personal Information
Our site does not sell your personal information for any purpose that the customer has not consented to. We strictly reserve personal information for services provided such as order fulfillment and customer service.
If you are a resident of the EEA, you have the right to access the Personal Information we hold about you, to port it to a new service, and to ask that your Personal Information be corrected, updated, or erased. If you would like to exercise these rights, please contact us through the contact information here firstname.lastname@example.org
Your Personal Information will be initially processed in Ireland and then will be transferred outside of Europe for storage and further processing, including to Canada and the United States. For more information on how data transfers comply with the GDPR, see Shopify’s GDPR Whitepaper: https://help.shopify.com/en/manual/your-account/privacy/GDPR.
If you are a resident of California, you have the right to access the Personal Information we hold about you (also known as the ‘Right to Know’), to port it to a new service, and to ask that your Personal Information be corrected, updated, or erased. If you would like to exercise these rights, please contact us through the contact information email@example.com
If you would like to designate an authorized agent to submit these requests on your behalf, please contact us at the contact information firstname.lastname@example.org
A cookie is a small amount of information that’s downloaded to your computer or device when you visit our Site. We use a number of different cookies, including functional, performance, or content cookies. Cookies make your browsing experience better by allowing the website to remember your actions and preferences (such as login and region selection). This means you don’t have to re-enter this information each time you return to the site or browse from one page to another. Cookies also provide information on how people use the website, for instance whether it’s their first time visiting or if they are a frequent visitor.
We use the following cookies to optimize your experience on our Site and to provide our services.
Cookies Necessary for the Functioning of the Store
|_ab||Used in connection with access to admin.|
|_secure_session_id||Used in connection with navigation through a storefront.|
|cart||Used in connection with shopping cart.|
|cart_sig||Used in connection with checkout.|
|cart_ts||Used in connection with checkout.|
|checkout_token||Used in connection with checkout.|
|secret||Used in connection with checkout.|
|secure_customer_sig||Used in connection with customer login.|
|storefront_digest||Used in connection with customer login.|
|_shopify_u||Used to facilitate updating customer account information.|
Reporting and Analytics
|_landing_page||Track landing pages|
|_orig_referrer||Track landing pages|
|_shopify_sa_p||Shopify analytics relating to marketing & referrals.|
|_shopify_sa_t||Shopify analytics relating to marketing & referrals.|
The length of time that a cookie remains on your computer or mobile device depends on whether it is a “persistent” or “session” cookie. Session cookies last until you stop browsing and persistent cookies last until they expire or are deleted. Most of the cookies we use are persistent and will expire between 30 minutes and two years from the date they are downloaded to your device.
You can control and manage cookies in various ways. Please keep in mind that removing or blocking cookies can negatively impact your user experience and parts of our website may no longer be fully accessible.
Most browsers automatically accept cookies, but you can choose whether or not to accept cookies through your browser controls, often found in your browser’s “Tools” or “Preferences” menu. For more information on how to modify your browser settings or how to block, manage or filter cookies can be found in your browser’s help file or through such sites as www.allaboutcookies.org.
Do Not Track
Please note that because there is no consistent industry understanding of how to respond to “Do Not Track” signals, we do not alter our data collection and usage practices when we detect such a signal from your browser.
For more information about our privacy practices, if you have questions, or if you would like to make a complaint, please contact us by e-mail at email@example.com or by mail using the details provided below:
Carys Cuttlefish, PO Box 38035 CAPILANO RPO, Edmonton AB T6A3Y6, CanadaLast updated: 11/14/2021
If you are not satisfied with our response to your complaint, you have the right to lodge your complaint with the relevant data protection authority. You can contact your local data protection authority, or our supervisory authority here https://www.oipc.ab.ca